old music

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

"For me,"

explains Gilmour, "Wish You Were Here was very satisfying. I'd rather listen to it than Dark Side Of The Moon. I think we achieved a better balance of music and lyrics. 'Dark Side' went a bit too far the other way -- too much importance was placed on the lyrics. And sometimes the tunes were neglected." The 1975 sessions were also memorable for other, more bizarre, reasons: "It was the weirdest coincidence," recalls Rick Wright. "I walked into the studio and Roger was working on 'Shine On,' and I saw this big, bald guy sitting on the couch behind him. I didn't think anything of it, because strangers were always turning up in the studio in those days. And then it clicked. It was Syd -- none of us has seen him in five years. He kept getting up, brushing his teeth with a toothbrush he had in his pocket and sitting down again. After that, he just disappeared again."